June 08, 2020
Black Lives Matter: A Resource Guide
To Our RoHo Community,
Addressing systemic racism is more than just a social media post or an email. We understand our BIPOC family and friends are mourning. We are here to say, we are with you.
We continue our commitment to listening, learning and creating action from our knowledge. This week, we made donations to Black Lives Matter as well as the ACLU. We are here to protect bodies and empower black lives.
Our favorite sign at a rally this weekend said, "I understand that I can't understand, but I'm here to stand with you."
We hope you will join us.
-The RoHo Team
Please see our below list of resources to educate yourselves, take action and donate.
Donate Directly to Victims' Families
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fund
- Justice For Breonna Taylor
- In Memory Of Tony McDade
- I Run With Maud [Ahmaud Marquez Arbery]
- Justice For Regis [Korchinski-Paquet]
- Justice For David McAtee
- More donation funds here
Sign Petitions Here
What to Read
A list of black-owned, independent book stores in the US
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
- The End Of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration In The Age Of Colourblindness by Michelle Alexander
- Me And White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
- Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- How To Be An Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- Black History Month Library
- Space/Race Reading List
Donate to Organizations
- Black Lives Matter is a global organization that builds power to bring justice, healing and freedom to Black people across the globe.
- The Bail Project works with public defenders and community organizations to provide assistance paying bail, court date reminders, transportation, and other support to low-income individuals.
- The Black Alliance for Just Immigration works toward racial, social, and economic justice locally and regionally by engaging with community partners to boost awareness about race, racism, identities, migration, and globalization.
- Black Visions Collective is a Minnesota-based organization dedicated to dismantling systems of oppression and violence by fostering black leadership.
- The UndocuBlack Network provides resources and community, along with advancing policy, immigrant rights, and racial justice to benefit black undocumented individuals.
- African Communities Together is “an organization of African immigrants fighting for civil rights, opportunity, and a better life for our families here in the U.S. and worldwide.”
- My Block, My Hood, My City is a Chicago nonprofit at the forefront of getting aid to businesses in majority-minority neighborhoods.
- Hope Not Hate is an antiracist and antifascist advocacy group in the U.K. that focuses its efforts on community politics and stifling extremism.
- The Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective is a nonprofit “collective of advocates, yoga teachers, artists, therapists, lawyers, religious leaders, teachers, psychologists, and activists.”
- Know Your Rights Camp: A campaign and series of camps held in various U.S. cities to empower black youth and instruct them on how to interact with law enforcement, founded by professional football player Colin Kaepernick.
- National Black Arts’ Forward Artist Project Relief Fund: A fund to support black artists in need, enabling them to continue creating and featuring their art during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The ACLU works in courts, legislature and communities to defend and preserve individual rights and liberties.
Who to Follow on Instagram
Including protest guides, mental health support for black people and educational materials for white people and NBPOC.
• #BlackLivesMatter master list of petitions, donations, protests, educational materials, resources and more
• Black Mental Health Alliance
• Melanin And Mental Health
• National Queer And Trans Therapists Of Color Network (NQTTCN)
• How to financially support Black Lives Matter without donating money
• Ways You Can Help Resource Hub
• Support Black People MasterDoc
• Key Advice When Going On A Protest
• Guidelines For Safe Protesting During COVID-19
• Music Worker's Alliance Resource List